We have finally learned what caused my husband’s death. I want to share some details with you, so that you can warn welders you know to open their machines and check the wiring.
Henry was welding when he died. He was not sick with any life-threatening illness and his last cholesterol was 121. I requested an autopsy. His brother (Bill, also a welder) and I suspected that he had been shocked by his welder and his heart could not recover. Bill opened Henry’s welder and found some exposed wires that he believed could create a fault in which Henry’s body was the “ground.” He provided that information to the coroner.
After more than six months, the Medical Examiner determined that Henry’s cause of death was “low-voltage electrocution.” Bill opened his welder that was from a different manufacturer and discovered that his welder also had a similar wiring defect, so he fixed it. Please tell welders about this.