What is Convivio Latinoamericano?
A Christian fellowship that addresses the needs and wishes of Latin Americans as they make adjustments and learn the language and culture in their new home. It is an opportunity for U.S. citizens to reach out and get to know their Spanish speaking neighbors and offer support to those who are marginalized unjustly in this society,
What activities has Convivio provided ?
- Non-denominational Bible study
- Arts and crafts projects
- Discussions based on themes of interest to the members
- Speakers on immigration, health, parenting, education, the environment, etc
- Activities for children
- Sharing of food
- Special activities such as “Las Posadas” Christmas Event, picnics
- Scholarships and help with immigration issues.
- Homes visits to the needy
Although the Convivio meetings are now being held at the First Presbyterian Church in Cornelia (469 N. Main Street) on the second Sunday of each month at 3 p.m., it has been considered a ministry of Nacoochee Presbyterian Church under the Outreach Committee for 20 years. A volunteer committee consisting mostly of Nacoochee members continues to organize and help, but it is now coordinating with the ESL Program Director in the Cornelia church, Mr. Alfredo Jacobo.
All who agree with the purpose as stated above are welcome to come, bring a potluck dish, and participate in bilingual activities, or help.
For more information or to volunteer, contact Dottie Foster, 706-969-9742, or Sherry Perkins, 706-892-6034